Forums Cache
Copyright MonkeyJob Systems 2005
All rights reserved

Home FAQ Current Forums Contact
 Search For Data

Boot Problems Following Running Remove Emtpy Folders

Related Topics:
Delete empty folders script

PCMan I ran the Monkey Job with the script to remove empty sub folder on a XP SP2 workstation and on the next reboot the machine fails to reboot with a message that hal.dll cannot be found.

I can run repair (or attempt when I get to work on Monday but has anyone else had this problem ? No other software was installed prior to a reboot.

I would not expect any modification to system files so I can only assume that the path statement has been modified in some way and c:\windows\system32 is no longer in it ?

Any ideas ?

monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
the delete empty folders script will only delete folders and only when they are empty.

No system files will be modified and neither will your system path.

It is possible that instead of loading and running the deleteemptyfolders script, you have loaded the deletefolders or deletefiles scripts. If this is the case then you will find all folders and files on the target path will have been deleted.

Hal.dll may be flagged as missing if your boot.ini file has been altered, if the dll has been deleted or if you are using a dual/multi boot system.

If you need help recovering your system, please email us.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

PCMan I definately ran the remove empty folder command. I could continue to use my machine until I rebooted. Prior to the reboot I could not launch certain applications.

The only thing I could think of retrospectively is that the path statement was altered.

If the delete all folders was ran then I would not have been able to continue using the machine after running the script and before reboot.

Any comments appreciated m8.

monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
the deleteemptyfolders script is not capable of altering the path variable.

If you are saying that you altered the path environment variable yourself then yes, this would be a likely candidate for the reported issue.

If you have a dos boot disk then you may be able to restore the path by using the following command (in dos):

set path=c:\windows\system32;c:\windows

Alternatively, you may be able to start your system in safe mode or in dos (usually done from a menu by pressing the F8 key or the F2 key on your keyboard on your bios splash screen when your computer boots).

If you are able to start in safe mode, right-click on "my computer" from the desktop. Then select the "Advanced" tab. Then press the "environment variables" button. You will be able to edit the path from there.

Regards,
monkeyjob.
PCMan A safe mode reboot had already been attempted but I still get the Hal.dll missing or corrupt.

I will try a repair when I get a XP boot cd tomorrow. I definately ran the deleteempty folder job, as I accessed some files prior to my reboot and continued to send/receive Notes mail via a 3G connection.

I'll let you know how the repair goes tomorrow.

Cheers,
K

| About Us | Privacy | Terms | Affiliates | Partners | Copyright ©2003 MonkeyJob Systems All Rights Reserved |