Copyright MonkeyJob Systems 2005
All rights reserved

Home FAQ Current Forums Contact
 Search For Data

MonkeyMerge - Problems with dates

Related Topics:
Monkey Merge

Skawn Hi there,

I'm using MonkeyMerge to try and merge several spreadsheets.

The actual merge works fine only one of my columns which has dates ends up with some cells in date format and some in general. The annoying thing is that even selecting that column and changing the format to date doesn't change the problem cells to be dates, seems like they've been imported in text format.

Double clicking on the cell changes it to the correct date format but doing that repeatedly on over 500 cells gets tiresome.

I've checked that the formating in the source sheets is OK, and have even just run the 'merge' on one sheet that I'm 100% sure is in the correct date format and still have the same result.

The odd thing is that it's always the same cells that be put into general text format so I figure it MUST be something on the source sheet thats the problem only I have no idea what.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Think this might have something to do with UK/US date conventions. Just realised that all the ones that got brought over in date format had the month and date round the wrong way (I'm in the UK and it's switched them as if it's US) and the ones that have been put in general text format are ones where it couldn't reverse the day and month as it would be an invalid date. As a workround, I've put the date in my sourse sheets to dd/mmm/yyyy format (e.g. 23/Jul/1980) and then convert back in the output file. Would be good to have a way of selecting date formats within MonkeyMerge tho.

monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
if possible, could you send us the source xls files so that we may recreate the problem and determine the cause.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

Josh E You really think the difference between 10.51 and 10.53 would make a difference? Anyway, I've since updated to ver. 10.53 and here's a portion of the file list with mixed date formats...

pearl.apr 28/06/2002 13:48:47 607.1
christian.apr 29/02/2003 12:52:44 720.5
tutorial.apr 07/10/2003 15:17:57 830
micas.apr 23/01/2004 17:46:12 1412.9
andros.apr 09/02/2004 17:17:55 603.1

Josh
monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
when you say that the date formats are mixed, what exactly do you mean? The dates that you have listed above all appear to be in the same format (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss).

Regards,
monkeyjob.
Josh E Most of them are DD/MM... but if I want ALL of them to have the MM/DD/YYYY format instead ...where do I change this in FM? ...(or is this controlled elsewhere like in an OS setting for example)?
monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
you should find when using the list feature that all dates are listed in dd/mm/yyyy format. Unfortunately, FileMonkey currently cannot switch between formats.

If your date formats appear to be mixed, this could be a bug. If this is the case, please send the full list to:

monkeyjob@monkeyjob.com

And tell us where the first incidence of mixed dates occurs within the list.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

| About Us | Privacy | Terms | Affiliates | Partners | Copyright ©2003 MonkeyJob Systems All Rights Reserved |