Forums Cache
Copyright MonkeyJob Systems 2005
All rights reserved

Home FAQ Current Forums Contact
 Search For Data

Is it possible to move multiple files into ONE folder?

Related Topics:
FoldMonkey Support Page

Guest Is it possible to move multiple files into ONE folder ?

For example you got:

example.of.a.file.cd1
example.of.a.file.cd2

I want to move those files into c:\example.of.a.file\

So when I open the folder c:\example.of.a.file, the files example.of.a.file.cd1 and example.of.a.file.cd2 is its contents.

monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
yes, if you wish to only target files that start with "example.of.a.file" then you can enter a file pattern of "example.of.a.file.*" at the top of the settings window (without the quote marks).

Select the folder to monitor as the folder that contains the files that you wish to work on.

In the archive section, check the "Create folder" and "FolderPath" check boxes. Enter the tag: in the create folder text box. Enter c:\ in the folder path box.

Select the "Move file to the above folder" option.

Un-check the "Launch program" and "Rename new file" check boxes. When ready, you can either set this up as a service, or scan once to run the operation.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

Guest Sorry, that was an bad example of what i'm trying to achieve, but we are almost there

What I'm trying to do is to move two or more files into one folder and I do not know the filename. The software must compare the filenames with the created foldername, and if the first three "words" of a filename match, then move it into the folder.

Ex:
example.of.a.file.cd1

the software see: example.of.a

and moves it into c:\example.of.a\

Maybe it is possible to do the job with a batch script ? to do the compare job.

monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
yes this can sort of be done, but the functionality is limited.

For example, if you have files named myfile.ext, you can move these files into folders named myfile (using the techniques described in the preceding post).

so for example;

"c:\new folder\new text document.txt" would be moved to "c:\new text document\new text document.txt"

"c:\new folder\new text document.doc" would be moved to "c:\new text document\new text document.doc"

"c:\new folder\my file.doc" would be moved to "c:\my file\my file.doc"

You can target all files by un-checking the "file pattern" check box.

If you only wish to create the file name based on the first 3 words, FoldMonkey cannot directly do this.

You could use the "Launch" section of FoldMonkey to send each file to a dos batch file for further processing, but you would have to figure out how to write/code the batch file so that you can tailor it to your requirements.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

Sylv Hi,
in the same order of idea as Guest, I don't know files name which are created in the source folder, but I do know their names are followed by numbers (or letters), aka: SomeFile001.zip, SomeFile002.zip (or SomeFileA.zip and SomeFileB.zip), and would like to know if FoldMonkey can create a SomeFile folder and move the files to it?
Tx.
monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
no, FoldMonkey cannot do this. If however, the file names are all the same length (for example, SomeFile001.zip is 15 characters in length) then FoldMonkey can do this.

You would need to enter a file pattern of ???????????.zip

You would need to use the following tag when creating the folder:

<CustSub;1;8>

This would target the file SomeFile001.zip, creating folder SomeFile

Note that if you do not require the files/folders monitored continuously then you may find that FileMonkey rather than FoldMonkey will do the job in a more user friendly manner.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

| About Us | Privacy | Terms | Affiliates | Partners | Copyright ©2003 MonkeyJob Systems All Rights Reserved |