Forums Cache
Copyright MonkeyJob Systems 2005
All rights reserved

Home FAQ Current Forums Contact
 Search For Data

Can find a string, but replace doesn't work

Related Topics:
How can I find files?
How can I search and replace on file contents?
FileMonkey Support Page

dshippy

I have several subdirectories in a directory that contain .fdf files, which are Acrobat form data files (essentially text files). If I use Find and look for this string:
(Number11)/V ()>> << /T (Number12)/V (24)>> << /T (Number13)/V ()
I find 76 files

If I try to replace this same string with something else (I cut and paste the string in, so it is exactly the same), it replaces none of them.

I am running the trial version...I could not see any indication this is disabled. I would buy the full version, but not if it can't do this function. Ideas?

monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
using "Find", keywords are separated by spaces. If you want to find all files that contain the string:

(Number11)/V ()>> << /T (Number12)/V (24)>> << /T (Number13)/V ()

you should enter the phrase:

"(Number11)/V ()>> << /T (Number12)/V (24)>> << /T (Number13)/V ()"

That is: surround the string with quote marks. If you do not do this then "Find" will return files that contain any/all of the following keywords:

"(number11)/v"
"()>>"
"<<"
"/t"
"(number12)/v"
"(24)>>"
"(number13)/v"
"()"

If you are using quote marks when using "Find" and the "Replace" feature is not working then it could be that there is a bug. If this is the case, please contact us on:

http://www.monkeyjob.com/Contact.htm

for further help.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

Longhorn

I had a similar problem using the 'Search & Replace" function in FileMonkey for both renaming files and replacing text in multiple files. For renaming files, I found that if I checked the box 'Use ? Wildcard' then the process would work for renaming files. It only works part of the time with replacing text in multiple files though. I don't have a clue why

Hi,
we have had similar reports from various sources. On further investigation, it usually turns out to be user error (either the user did not understand the term plain text or there was some other issue involving case sensitivity).

We have tried to limit the scope for user error by introducing expanded help files and error reporting and making the interface as simple as possible.

Please report all suspected problems to http://www.monkeyjob.com/Contact.htm and we will investigate further.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

Longhorn

Hmmmmmm. Perhaps I'm one of those who are so condescendingly referred to as too ignorant to figure out what plain text is. Gee, all I know is that the simple text characters " /head> " in a...uh...plain text document sometimes gets deleted like I want, and sometimes it doesn't.

monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
this could be a targeting issue. Perhaps you are not targeting the files that you are expecting to work on.

To target all files, right-click on the file list and select "Target All Files" from the pop-up menu.

If you wish to check that a file is targeted, you could use the list feature to list all targeted files (select the Operations/List menu item from the main window).

For more information, please see:

http://www.monkeyjob.com/FileMonk/FAQ/Doesnt-Find-Files.htm

Regards,
monkeyjob.

| About Us | Privacy | Terms | Affiliates | Partners | Copyright ©2003 MonkeyJob Systems All Rights Reserved |